Friday, July 28, 2006

Hydras, Dragons, and Chimeras, Oh My!


As you are most likely aware, I am a computer guy of the web developer/programmer persuasion. In my company, we have a small IT department... for awhile I was IT.

A few months ago we added a networking guy into the mix. He is of my ilk, and enjoys a good laugh. Well yesterday we had a good reason to.

About a week ago the company hired a new accounting woman, but there were too many butts, and not enough seats, so they parked her in our office. That was all well and good, except that her training then also happened in our office.

Now programmer types like their quiet, so I glued my headphones in my ears and cranked up the tunes to cover the training-in-loud-voice behind me.

So I was engrossed in my programming, writing a PHP script to change the world when the trainer and trainee both wigged out and ran from the desk screaming. My immediate thought was that a big spider or cricket had "attacked" them.

Trainer: "THERE'S A LIZARD IN THERE!!!!!!!"

Trainee: "I'M DONE, I'M OUTTA HERE!!!!"

Me: "A lizard? COOL! where?"

"ON THE DESK, ON THE DESK!!!!"

I looked around and couldn't see anything.

"IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE CORNER!!!!"

So I poked my head in there, and nearly missed it again. What I saw was hardly terrifying, in fact the critter was a BABY lizard, and was about an inch and a half long.

So I grabbed a DVD spindle cover with the intention of trapping it underneath. As I got near, it darted out the hole in the back of the desk where the cables go through.

"I didn't get him."

Trainee: "You mean I have to work there, knowing that thing is around?"

Me: "Well... when he runs up your leg, let me know."

Oddly enough, I have a small plastic lizard that the Bear got from Chuck E. Cheese sitting on my keyboard. I took that over and set it on her desk.

"So he has a friend..."

Labels:

3 Comments:

At July 29, 2006 2:05 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

heh heh. you shoulda told her you just save 10% on your auto insurance.

 
At July 30, 2006 7:10 PM, Blogger Erica Hanks said...

LOL Shane!!!!

 
At August 02, 2006 8:30 AM, Blogger Kukka-Maria said...

So funny...and overly dramatic on the trainee's part!

Next time call me. I am "Kukka-Maria...Ferocious Feline Hunter!"

At least I can use my sharp tongue to intimidate and scare the lizard away.

Wendy sent me, and I'm grateful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home