Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Yo Hablo Mucho De Nada



A few evenings ago, we finally became acquainted with our Hispanic next door neighbors that have been there for about four years. DramaMama as usual made first contact.

She found out from the wife that she does not read English very well, and was looking for a way to learn. DramaMama immediately set to finding it for her.

She called a woman from church and learned that there was a Spanish-speaking branch of the church that meets in the building at the end of our street. It turned out that this branch was having a party that evening celebrating Father's Day. DramaMama placed a couple more calls and got us all signed up for the luau party.

Did I mention that it was a Spanish speaking branch? :P I had a year of Spanish in high school about 20 years before many of you were born. I thought that this would be a great opportunity to flex my bilingual muscles and help my dear wife to understand what was being said. HA! It was similar to an episode of Charlie Brown when the teacher is talking. "Wah wah... wah wah wah wah amigo wah wah ! Wah wah wah wah Jesus wah wah wah ..."

Luckily, our Spanish speaking neighbors were more than happy to translate for us. We had a very nice time, and made some new friends. We introduced them to the right people that will get them hooked up with an English program.

I told them that I could ask for a drink and the bathroom if anyone needed me to.

About the best I got out in Spanish was, "Esta mui gordo" which sort of means "I am fat". They thought I meant "I am full" but no... just fat. The Fat Gringo they call me.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At June 22, 2006 9:57 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

Ja Ja Ja Ja Ja

 
At June 23, 2006 7:38 AM, Blogger Jillian said...

Pero eres muy agradable, amigo. Me gustas mucho -- especialmente porque eres asi loco!

:)

 
At June 29, 2006 11:08 PM, Blogger Tracie Nall said...

I only took Latin in high school--now there is a useless foreign language!

Wendy says hi!

 
At June 29, 2006 11:48 PM, Blogger MaR said...

Muy divertido! Miss Wings me ha enviado :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home