Sunday, May 21, 2006

Another day older...

I was born one mornin' and the sun didn't shine
I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine
I loaded sixteen tons of number nine coal
and the straw boss said, "well bless my soul!"

Translated into yesterday:

I dragged my butt out of bed before the sun shined,
I picked up a shovel and started to whine.
I loaded fourteen tons, ended up on the floor,
and the girl boss said, "I loaded ten tons more!" :)

It was indeed an adventure. We arrived around 8:30 am to a rather large pile (which actually was 14 tons) of crushed granite. It was supposed to have been dropped in the driveway, but it covered the sidewalk and half the road. In all honesty, I didn't think the pile was all that big until we tackled it with shovels. I never knew rocks could have babies.

We had two wheel barrows and a passel of shovels. The neighbor kids wanted to help, which most of the time really didn't . We finally had it all in place by 4:00pm. We had to take numerous breaks due to the 105 degree heat. I put down four bottles of 32oz gatorade, along with several other drinks of water. You would expect a frequent "gotta go gotta go gotta go right now" sort of deal, but at the rate I was sweating, it wasn't ever an issue.

Several times during the day I used the garden hose to cool off my head, confirming that I am indeed a hosehead.

By the end of the day, I was feeling slightly nauseous and had a screaming headache which I understand is an indication of heat exhaustion/dehydration. I dont know how I could have drunk much more than I did.

The reason I was on the floor was that recently I have managed to tweak my back several times doing light stuff. I was probably 3/4 through with the day and it was complaining, so I went and laid on the floor to give it a break.

I went back out there and helped finish up after that. It was quite a job. The bear donned my spare pair of gloves and came out to 'help' us.

He had a little garden shovel with which he was putting 3 rocks in a little plastic wagon. At one point he got mixed up and started bringing rocks back and putting them on the pile.

DramaMama was wonderful and brought us cold rags to tie around our necks, sprayed us with cool water, etc.

I can almost move now, but pretty much everything I got hurts.

Labels: , , , , ,


At May 22, 2006 5:05 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow~ Someone had a busy day! :D

Can I say I was so lazy yesterday and spent most of the day watching the History Channel :D

I needed a lazy weekend.

At May 22, 2006 3:02 PM, Blogger C. H. Green said...

wow you've been busy

At May 23, 2006 12:27 PM, Blogger Kerrie said...

And this is why we're doing mulch in the landscaping this year!

At May 23, 2006 10:18 PM, Blogger Seawave said...

Geez, *I* need to go lie down after reading this post. I feel really guilty looking at the pile of ironing that needs to be done and making such a big deal out of doing it. :) (Well, not really, but it sounded good at the time.)

At May 24, 2006 4:25 AM, Blogger The Blogging Boss said...

105 degrees?

I think I would have pulled up a beach chair and a drink in front of the pile and pondered over who might actually move the stones for me.

Sounds like a great job for my teenage son. He needs a task like that!

Hope you have recovered. :)

At May 24, 2006 10:21 PM, Anonymous SunKingpoet said...

Wonderful site you have here. Stopping by from our BOTB's. I'll bookmark you and visit more often.

At May 25, 2006 2:34 PM, Blogger Bree said...

Woah. I bet the heat made it 100 X's harder!

Good work!

At May 25, 2006 4:33 PM, Blogger Jillian said...

I never knew rocks could have babies.


That sounds incredibly awful. Seriously.

And you were drinking that Gatoraid chemical crap?? Ewwwwww!!!

I mean....ewwwwwww!!

You get a prize. You couldn't pay me to do ANYTHING in 105 degrees.

At May 25, 2006 9:00 PM, Blogger Dave said...

From "Waterboy":

GATORADE... Water sucks, it really really sucks. LOL

Actually when you are zapped like that, it doesnt taste bad.

It is now Thursday, and my muscles have finally stopped hurting. My grip was shot for three days.

At May 26, 2006 10:01 PM, Blogger The Blogging Boss said...

Hey Dave,

First time I am back on BE and there you are and Homer as well - like old days....

Peace to you an Drama!


At May 27, 2006 4:32 PM, Blogger WendyWings said...

Wow rather you then me.
Just swinging by to say hi have been slacking on my blog reading lately.


Post a Comment

<< Home