Friday, May 05, 2006

Parenthood: How to Mess With Minds in Loving Way


We are all guilty. If not, you aren't trying hard enough. :)

Lately, the Bear has had a rash of "bad dreams in his eye" and has repeatedly visited us in the middle of the night scared and crying.

After an entire week of this, the zombified parental creatures were forced to drastic action. The monster spray trick has lost its effectiveness, so DramaMama decided to solve two problems with a single solution. It is also allergy season, so to help ease the little monkey's fears, she gave him some Benadryl, and told him it was "Monster Medicine". The genius in this is that Benedryl makes him sleepy. WOO HOO!

Dad kicked in an idea as well. Every night, I am the one that takes the Bear to bed. We feed the fish, give every one 'loves', read a book, say prayers, then tuck him in. After a couple night's of my prayer for the Bear not to be scared at night, I gave the task to the Bear. He is still learning how to pray properly, but I told him that he doesn't have to follow a set procedure, he can just tell Heavenly Father he is scared, and ask Him for help.

So that night after I had said a prayer, I asked the Bear if he would like to ask Heavenly Father to help him not be scared. "I don't know what words to say."

Fair enough. I helped him get started. Then I asked him what he wanted to tell Heavenly Father. "I'm scared." What do you want to ask Him?" "not to be scared. Name-of-Jesus-Christ-Amen." The last part at triple the speed.

The next night, the Bear asked me if I would help ask Heavenly Father to help him again.

He has has several good nights in a row. The monster medicine is working, and tonight, he went to bed without a whimper.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At May 06, 2006 7:00 AM, Blogger cmhl said...

here via bloexplosion--- I just had to tell you that I htink your wife and I had the same wedding dress!!!

she looks beautiful!!! I'm sure you agree.

 
At May 07, 2006 7:20 AM, Blogger "Jet" said...

I hope "Bear" is feeling 100% soon!

XXOO,
JTL

 
At May 07, 2006 1:38 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

Bear the Monster Masher!

 
At May 09, 2006 4:08 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Good parenting skills, you two. It's tough to combat all of those childhood demons. You should keep his for a non-fiction book ;)

 
At May 10, 2006 11:45 PM, Blogger CyberCelt said...

Perhaps you can take the Benadryl out of the capsule and give your child the empty cap? Benadryl is pretty heavy duty for anyone, especially children.

When I was young, the mom's gave paragoric, which had opium in it. No one knew any better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home