Wednesday, May 02, 2007

My Encouraging Note From Australia

After a seemingly long wait, I received my response from Penguin Boks in Australia today. Although they passed on my book, their suggestions and comments were both welcome. Here is their response in its entirety:

****
This is a well written story with a strong plot and lots of appeal. There is some vivid description and observation and it brings alive an important part of America's history. It is plot-driven, rather than character-driven, and sometimes the story could benefit from more variation in pace and tone. The resolution feels a little rushed and convenient. Patrick's father's treatment of him is so callous that at times it is hard to believe. He has lost his family why does he risk losing the only son he has left? Some more context to the characters' motivations may be helpful. The treatment of the slaves is a very sensitive subject and it is handled with care and thought here, although at times it could have been more emotionally charged. The author of this work shows promise, and although this particular story is a little too specific for Penguin Australia to take on, I would encourage the author to rework and submit to American publishers.
****

Not to shabby for a first rejection, eh? The thing that is most encouraging about this for me is that the version they read was my first revision. I am going to take their suggestions to heart and encorporate them into my current revision. I am about 1/3 of the way through.

Can I get a WOO HOO for the Cheez?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At May 04, 2007 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo!

That's great news! I got a rejection like that. Made my day.

 
At May 04, 2007 1:27 PM, Blogger David said...

Woo Hoo #2.

Keep at it.

 
At May 11, 2007 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! That is awesome!

 
At August 04, 2007 9:11 AM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

WOO HOO
quite cool that they added some thoughts for improvement -- seems like they think it will be a worthwhile read w/a little fine tuning

 

Post a Comment

<< Home