Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I Throw Myself on the Mercy of the Court!


The Weezil in court? Yep.

What most heinous offense pray tell did yon Cheezer commit?

Um...

I procrastinated.

WHAT?!???!? You don't have to go to court for procrastination!

Well, that all depends on what it is that you procrastinated, and for how long.

You see, it all comes down to the not-getting-around-to-it factor. I had just as much time as every one else, yet I chose to ignore the problem... that is until it came back and bit me on the butt.

As you well know, every year you have to register your car. Not a big deal. Well this year... um... make that LAST year... I was required to pass the emissions test (THE CAR, not ME! Sheesh) which is always a pain, so I kept putting it off. Then 30 days became 90, 90 became a whole heckuvalot more.

REEEEEEEERRRRRRR! BLINKY BLINKY BLINKY BLINK (That's the cop pulling me over)

"Why are you driving with plates that expired in MAY?"

So I got a ticket, and I went on my way, telling myself it was my own dumb fault.

I took the car for emissions testing, and of course it failed. A cylinder 1 misfire. So once I got paid, I took the car in for repair. It cost $400.

The next day (see the previous post) BLAM!!!

Somewhere in all of the mayhem, I misplaced the citation. I remembered that the officer had mentioned that the court date was on January 31. So I called the Mesa Police department to find out what time and where I was supposed to go. They had no record of my ticket. Hmmmm. Try DPS (Dept of Public Safety) they said.

I called DPS, and they also had no record of the ticket. I doubted it was the girl scouts that gave me the stupid thing!

Next, I called the mesa city court to find out the time and place. They had no record of it. They suggested that I call the Justice court and see if it was there. So I called them, and they knew nothing about it.

I tried MPD and DPS again, same result. I tried the court again just to see. nothing. I gave up. I figured if nobody knew about it, it must have been lost in processing somewhere. I mentioned my troubles to a co-worker who suggested I call DPS on more time and ask them if I were to be pulled over by a DPS officer, at which court would need to appear? They asked where I was cited, and they gave me a phone number for the JUSTICE court. Different number than the one I called though. At last, I found someone that knew something. "9:00"

I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that if I had decided to give up, I would have had a bench warrant on my butt.

Anyway, I showed up at about 8:40 and got in line. Apparently there were lots of Mesa procrastinators that day. Finally it was my turn at the check in counter. I told the girl I had lost my ticket. She went and looked up my file.

"Do you have your registration?"

"That's the problem."

"$105 please."

I paid her. I had heard the clerks tell others to go into the courtroom, so off I trotted. I sat on the front row where I could hear the judge talking to the other wanted fugitives. It was very interesting to hear all the odd troubles people had gotten themselves into.

There were a couple of them busted for drug paraphenalia, a bunch for DUI, a couple WOMEN for unlawful entry and intimidation, several underage kids driving and/or drinking, a couple ex-cons, and a guy that falsified his car insurance.

Wouldn't it have been interesting if one of the ex-cons had sat by me?

"What are you in for?"

"Um... I procrastinated."

So anyway, I patiently waited my turn, not nervous, because I knew I was in the wrong. By the way, I knew the judge, but he didn't know me. My company did a lot of work for his campaign, including data for mailings and his website, both of which I did. So anyway, they kept calling people up, and more, and I waited, and waited... the numbers were dwindling... 5, 4, 3, 2... They called the other guy.

When they were done with him:

"What's your name?"

"Juan Tabo, wanted mexican drug lord."

he he he just kidding. I told him my name, and he said that they didnt have a file for me. GREAT!

I had just sat there for three hours!

The judge when on a trek to discover my wayward file. 15 minutes later he came back and said it was all resolved. GRRRRRR!

I still showed him my plethora of evidence as to why I was not able to register the vehicle. (Remember the BLAM????)

I then proceeded to ask about the citiation my son had gotten after the BLAM for the expired plates. The judge said that since it was in a Mesa neighborhood, it was under the jurisdiction of the Mesa City Court, and they couldn't do anything about tossing it out.

So on Feb 27, I get to appear with my son at that court and hope that they will be nice.

I finally got done with the old dead car today. I had the impound lot tow it to a salvage yard.

I should find out shortly whether I will be approved for a loan to get the Caddy.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At February 07, 2007 7:48 PM, Blogger Jillian said...

Three hours for nothing? I would have been livid.

Davido -- you need to start tying strings around your fingers, or something. :)

I once got pulled over for expired tags and did such a good job sweet-talking the officer ("You know, they don't pay you guys enough...") that he handed me a special envelope that I could use to send in my registration as soon as I got it.

Ya. Girl power. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home