Saturday, October 14, 2006

My Week and My Letter From the Bear


As you may have read on DramaMama's blog, I have been rather ill this week. It hit me Monday evening with a vengeance.

I stayed home from work on Tuesday, but still ended up doing a couple hours remotely.

Wednesday I went in, even though I felt like the Triceratops poop pile on Jurassic Park.

Thursday I stayed home, and talked my boss into paying me sick pay for the two days I was out. He agreed as long as I kept on top of all my work remotely. He's a peach ain't he? So there I sat at my home computer for several hours... feverish and chilling... helping some local politicians get their message out. I went to the doctor and got some meds. During the day as I was resting, the Bear came in with a sheet of paper with kid squiggly writing on it.

"I wrote you a letter, Daddy."

"Gwarksit Zhey?" Translation from ill-speak: "What's it say?"

"I hope you feel better, because you still talk weird."

Friday I was starting to feel better but was still way below par. I went into the office for what turned out to be the day from that hot burny place. I ended up pulling a 14 hour shift and finally left at about 10:00pm. I had very little for breakfast, then I had a Healthy Choice dinner thingy for lunch (very small). I had a yogurt too, but I guess when I put my lunch in the fridge, my for pierced the foil cap, and by lunchtime there was yogurt all over everything. I didn't eat the yogurt.

I drove from work to DrummerBoy's school to pick him up. He had just returned from playing at a football game.

Once I got home I finally got to eat, but then a long night of coughing commenced. Boy was that fun! A couple of times it felt like my lungs were going flop inside out of my mouth. I was coughing so hard that a couple times my neck popped. It was one of those very dry, very scratchy throat kind of cough. I'll spare the imagery about the voluminous goo.

So last night I got about zots for sleep. "Why are you typing a blog then dough-head?" you might ask. Well... iunno.

I am feeling somewhat better today, but am still having periodic bouts with this cough.

This thing really kicked my butt. I can only think of two instances in my life where I felt more sick than I did Thursday:

1) Just over a year ago when I was hospitalized (thinking I was having a heart-attack). I had been having severe nausea and other end, mixed with cold sweats. The whole scene was rather graphic, I will spare the gross details for non "technicolor yawn" fans.

2) Probably 13 years ago, I ate lunch at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants and ordered the Mexican-poop Tacos... um, I mean Chile Verde Chimichanga. This was my usual there. Something weren't quite right with it that day though. That evening I would have been glad to have been put out of my misery. This too involved great expulsion of barf matter from full-wide mouth portal, but I'll spare the details. *

So as you can see I felt rather crappy. I am happy to say though that my very long day yesterday did get me caught up with the mountainous amount of political mailing list data you can imagine.

So now... I think I'll work. On my book, I mean. :)


* See the comments for a cool story about this.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At October 14, 2006 12:24 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Official Cool Story:

The day I was so ill with food poisoning, my parents were on vacation at Bear Lake on the border of Utah and Idaho.

As I was feeling so horrible I remember calling out to my mom, though she was not there. I survived the night.

The next morning, my Mom called from Bear Lake and asked if I was okay. She didn't know I was sick. I said that I was feeling better, but that last night I was very sick.

She said that she knew. She said that at the time I said I was sick, she had gotten a very strong impression that something was very wrong with me, and she had told Dad about it.

Mother's intuition and their bond with their children is an amazing thing.

 
At October 14, 2006 1:48 PM, Blogger Domestic Goddess said...

Dave, you make me laugh. Mexican-poop tacos!!!!
I remember Mom telling me about that incident once. She told me that she just had this strong feeling that you were sick and that she needed to pray for you.
What a great mom!!
I miss her.

 
At October 14, 2006 6:19 PM, Blogger Erica Hanks said...

Dave is still feeling crappy today. It's probably not the best day to be having a 16th Bday party here for Clinton, but such is life!

 
At October 15, 2006 6:35 AM, Blogger Jillian said...

I'm going on the record as saying:

IT'S TIME TO FIND A NEW JOB.

Yes. One where you're treated like a human being.

Methinks you would have recovered much more quickly if you had actually been able to...yanno, REST!!

I'm not going to be able to put the taco-scented poop behind me too soon. I just had a visitor from a search for "Mexican men." Yep.

Hoping you're much better today.

 
At October 18, 2006 10:34 AM, Blogger Jillian said...

So? Did you work on your book?

 
At October 27, 2006 8:17 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

bummer man. feel better. I had some of my worst illnesses when I lived in Arizona for five years. Maybe it's the brown cloud.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home