Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Them Stuffs Wots Important

Over the past couple days, I have had the opportunity to spend some good quality time with the Bear.

Our usual pastime is a several-hour jaunt through pixel-land on the computer. The past two nights, however, the Bear and I have sought other modes of entertainment and have quite enjoyed ourselves.

We have played a game where we both have a handheld net about the size of a ping-pong paddle, and we toss a foam ball to each other, trying to catch it in the net. We are both laughing most of the time, because of the other one looking silly trying to catch the ball.

That starts out mildly enough, but after awhile the Bear gets a little wild with his throws, and the foam ball visits all sorts of nooks and crannies in our home. One time, the ball ended up in a tough spot for him to get to, but he happened upon a golf ball, and was about to hurl that at me. I stopped him before it launched.

We have also been working on his "homework" together, which consists of him learning to write numbers, letters, and his name. He is doing great, but his attention span is quite short, so sometimes homework takes awhile.

I have noticed that from this time I have spent with him these last two days, that my love for the little guy has grown tremendously. He is such a good kid, and has a great big heart. I sometimes call him over, and have to give him a big ol' daddy bear hug.

It is so easy for me to get tunnel-vision in regards to working on my business, writing, etc. and I often overlook more important things like this.

My office is next to his room, but for the last several weeks, he has been sleeping on the bed behind me, which is for his brother to use when he comes to visit. He falls asleep while I am on the computer, and I love to sit and watch him sleep. He brings a smile to my face even then. Although his personal challenges frequently become ours as well, these shining moments of happiness and love far outweigh the other stuff.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At September 27, 2006 8:37 AM, Blogger Erica Hanks said...

He is a good, cute Bear, and you are a good dad!

 
At September 28, 2006 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet post.

 
At September 28, 2006 6:38 PM, Blogger serenity said...

I love this post so much, Dave. So much realization on your part of the true meaning of life, what is important, what is sacred; times with your little guy that are so fleeting...he will grow up so quickly. Bless you for these moments of clarity, for your heart, for opening yourself to that depth, those cherished moments...even though you are stressed and busy. These are the moments that he will carry with him his entire lifetime.

Peace, joy and hugs to you.

 
At September 30, 2006 1:20 PM, Blogger WendyWings said...

It is a great age isn't it :)

 
At October 01, 2006 5:52 PM, Blogger Jillian said...

What a precious post. Your daddy heart is always showing, of course, but this post is particularly poignant.

There is something about watching them sleep, isn't there? I still peek at Jonathan whenever I can (which isn't often -- he's a light sleeper and usually wakes right up when I walk in!).

*sigh*

 
At October 02, 2006 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a heartfelt post. Kids grow up so fast that it is great when you can sepend time with them. I dropped in from Wendy's Blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home