Saturday, October 07, 2006

Land of Many Moons

Today reminded me of an episode of Saturday Night Live years ago. In it, a repairman played by Dan Akroyd came to the home and his toolbelt weighed his pants down so as to emphasize his back side.

Bill Murray watched him as he began his work and said, "And the moon came out surprisingly early!"

Well today, it was tag-team at our house for different workmen. At 9:00, the first one showed up to deliver the fabulous new cookware that DramaMama had purchased. He made us some applesauce that was amazing. While he was there, a plumbing inspector arrived. He went through the house and checked all of the plumbing and the water heater.

While he was doing his thing, I returned to the cooking guy. He convinced us to move up to the next higher set than the one we had chosen.


The plumbing inspector got my attention and took me out to visit the water heater. He told me that since it is 10 years old, he wouldn't do the flush service. He showed me some corrosion, and blah blah blah. He recommended a new water heater, new lines, and a new valve.

As the Plumbing guy is preparing to leave, (the cooking guy is still there by the way), another knock came at the door signaling the arrival of the Dish Network guy to install our new system that DramaMama surprised me with. I opened the door and said, "NEXT!"

He mounted the dish on the side of our house where the Homeowners Association Nazis couldn't readily see it. He hooked up the lines and everything. He came in awhile later and said he needed to move the dish. He said that the stucco was too thin. (yeah, I know... I hate stucco). So anyway we now have 4 holes in the stucco on the side of the house.

There is a block wall that divides our lot from the neighbors. He ended up mounting the thing on that. If the HOA bums say a word... BANG, ZOOM, TO THE MOON!

It took him awhile to get the thing programmed and everything hunky dory. The cooking guy left with a bottle of DramaMama's wonderful salsa. The plumbing guy didn't get one because he was stinky.

DramaMama went to a Bridal Shower and returned before the dish dude was done. The Bear wouldn't believe me when I told him that our TV would come from space.

"It's still sitting right there!"

"I know, but the pictures in it will come down from space."

"If I go outside, can I see them coming down?"

At last the parade of vertical smiles had gone, and we could finally get on with the day.

Did I mention that in preparation for said parade that we were up before 7am CLEANING? My first task was to clear a path in the garage so the plumbing guy could get through without need of a machete. We also cleaned the kitchen to be ready for the cooking guy and straightened our room for the dish feller.

The garage looks half respectable now. The left half. The other side looks like an avalanche of boxes filled with Christmas crap. But alas, that will have to wait until some other workmen are coming. wink wink.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At October 07, 2006 4:11 PM, Blogger Domestic Goddess said...

ah, love my Dish Network. DVR is a wonderful invention.
Love the picture by the way.

Spackle it!!!

 
At October 07, 2006 7:16 PM, Blogger Dave said...

The funny thing about that is... um... I ADDED the crack! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home