Thursday, May 01, 2008

Progress Report

Several posts ago, I mentioned a new book I started. It is set in a Navajo village in the 1800s. I had the idea for this several years ago, and made a few notes. About a year ago, I remembered the idea, and tried to find the notes, but they weren't in any of my notebooks, cubbies for ideas, or old copy or anything. I assumed it was lost.

Not long before I started the book, I was cleaning in my office and found my old Franklin Planner with one cover missing. I thumbed through it just for fun, and in the middle in the lined pages were my story notes. I was so excited.

I read through them, and decided that then was as good as any time to dive into it. I have been steadily working on it ever since. This book is just flowing out of me, and most of the time, I have no idea what I am going to write... it just comes out. I love that.

On my Black and White ands Shades of Gray book, I had an idea what the story would be, and I had chunks of it written but with huge gaps. Another book I have in the works is really just a bunch of story blobs with not much continuity. This one is flowing start to finish. I have an idea where I am going with it, but for the most part it is telling me what needs to be in it. Very cool.

I have been doing a ton of research on the Navajo culture and have found it quite fascinating. I like to do research like this to be as historically and culturally accurate as I can. Even though most of what I learn doesn't make it into the books, I sure get a lot of substance to draw from.

I was a ways into it before I really got going on the research so there are several things that need to be fixed in the earliest chapters.

Right now I am in the middle of chapter 23, and it is getting to the good part. Young boy takes on the big bad nasty guy that killed his father.

My chapters are quite short at this point, but that is fine. That gives me room for fleshing out in revisions.

If you have any desire at all to read what I have, click on the link on the right side of my blog for "Great Father of Eagles." I'm going there now to post my latest.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home