Saturday, January 07, 2006

I Have Finished My First Draft!

From concept in 2001 to first draft wrap-up tonight, there have been moments of good writing spells, and several not so good.

Up until somewhere this past October, there was still a very long way to go, and many holes and stupid things to fix.

Jill of The Write Way Home announced to blogland that she would be putting a serial online of a new book she was writing. That intrigued me, and I decided to start a new blog featuring one of the books I currently had in the works.

I decided to put "Black, White, and Shades of Gray" out for my blogging friends to read, critique, laugh at, whatever.

The problem with that was that I had less than half of the book actually written. Much of it was concepted, but still in idea form. Once it came time for chapter 7, I had a big project ahead of me. I basically had a hole in the middle of the book that was masquerading as the Grand Canyon.

I dived in and produced chapters 7-11 which for all intents and purposes were brand new. They included some long standing ideas, but for the most part were very new and fresh ideas. I then took an existing chapter 12 and spruced it up.

Starting in November, NaNoWriMo came about, so I put my online book project on hold for that challenge. That died after 3 days due to life and work. That began a dry spell that continued until today.

I finally decided to get back in the game, and I found that the story was right there waiting for me, and I feel that today was a great writing day.

I finished Chapter 13, wrote a whole new chapter for chapter 14, and revised the old chapter 14 to become the final chapter 15.

I imagine that there is more story lurking in my brain that can be added during a series of rewrites. I intend for the final book to be longer than these 15 chapters.

It is a great feeling to reach a level of completion after all of this time. I realize that it is really only a single step up a long stair case, but it is after all, a step up.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At January 07, 2006 10:03 PM, Blogger "Jet" said...

So you have been writing a book?? I hope I read that correctly... Wow, that's amazing.

Oh, and I finally linked you! Sorry it took me so long!

XXOO,
JTL

 
At January 08, 2006 9:55 PM, Blogger The Blogging Boss said...

Keep climbing the stairs, Dave. My son loves you. You already have a fan.

As far as my wife serializing her story, you should ask her about that. The book she was going to serialize is turning out to be the book we all think she should submit for publishing. I want her to serialize her first novel.

Go figure.

Keep writing!

Eric

 
At January 10, 2006 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh isn't it wonderful finishing the first draft! Of course, then comes the revising! So much fun. Though I love it when I see the revision work pay off and make the story really flow that much better.

Congrats! That's a big achievement!

 
At January 13, 2006 2:34 PM, Blogger Jillian said...

At the risk of sounding gooey:

I'm proud of you!

There are countless writers who give up before they even finish the first draft. It may be the "first step," but it's a HUGE one. Because, well, you've DONE it. You've written an entire novel!

And you're so hardworking and so passionate about your craft, that I know you're going to dig in and rip apart and fix and add and subtract and make the story all it is meant to be.

AND...my son, who is VERY hard to please when it comes to books, LIKES it! :)

Write on, write on, write on...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home